Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Outing.. and the longest post ever.

This week I'm out on Spring Break, a big plus with working in the school system. Today I planned an outing: Head to Raleigh, visit with Audrey, attend the temple, do a little shopping and hang out. Our temple appointment was 10:45. To be a good on time person you need to be there by 10:15. I could do that leave around 8:40 and have plenty of time. To bad at 8:40 this morning I was getting out of the shower and running around trying to get breakfast and clothes in 2.5 seconds. Kissed Mr. Reed goodbye for a couple of days (school trip to Alabama) and then I was off. 9:05 the clock reads as I race out of the house.

I am about 15 mins into my trip and I realize I need to call Audrey (heads up of being late) and Mr. Reed ( don't forget: and a list of items to follow). Audrey says "Drive fast, but safe." Mr. Reed says "Be safe and don't fly." I hang up and remember I still have milk and cereal in a cup to eat.

On the freeway, toss phone in my cup holder where I always place it. Oh NO! Remember I have milk and cereal in a cup waiting to be eaten. That's right my friends, now I have milk with cereal in a cup with a hint of a cell phone.

One hand on stirring wheel, other hand fishing out milky phone, spilling milk all over me and the car, trying to look for a napkin while keeping on eye on the road ( thank goodness for multiple lanes, and minimal amount of traffic). Found a napkin on the floor, opened and found that someone left it in the car after eating a crumbly pop- tart. So now I have soggy crumbs, milk, and a wet cell phone.

How I made it all the way to Raleigh, finished my slightly damaged breakfast, and air dried a cell phone I will never know. But I am very grateful that I made it safe and realized sometimes pulling over would be wise. I was just afraid of missing my temple appointment.

Though even after all my air-drying my speaker for my phone failed. I was able to call others but they were not able to hear me. This was frustrating to no end. So I knew I would have to make a stop at the local wireless store.

I wanted to tell them my speaker was not working, I did not want to have to mention that I submerged it in milk earlier. But as I was drying it out, I removed the battery and found this little "tattle tail". I would never have lied it he asked me what had happened but who wants to walk in and acknowledge to everyone that, you a grown woman, put your cell phone in your breakfast. So I decided that I would just ask what I could do since my phone got wet. Water, milk it's all wet. Well of course, I have no insurance, my warranty is up, and I would have to buy a new phone. No way, I got this one free I was not going to spend money on another one. So I asked what could be done, he said "give it time and put it in a bag of rice to absorb the moisture". Of course before I said my goodbyes he asked what happened I confessed, and he laughed.

So now until the moisture (hopefully) leaves my speaker I will use this. An ear headset: Yes, I have mocked these, I dislike them cause I always thought others were talking to me while they were actually on their phones, and yet I now must sport one. Temporarily I hope.

My trip was very pleasant other than my milky cell phone. Thanks Audrey!!


Becky Bean said...

Oh Kimberly!!! Don't feel bad--Ryan and I always have the same phone bought at the same time, and within two days mine looks like I've had it for 3 years, and Ryan's stays pristine the whole time he has it. What's with that?? :) I hope it starts working again soon!

Lisa said...

What a funny story! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA! I love that sounds just like something that would happen to me!

Cara K said...

poor kimmy kim!!

Reed's Rat Race said...

I hope you didn't ruin a bowl of perfectly good Life cereal!! That would be criminal.

Wendi said...

Things like that only happen to me.
Thank goodness I don't eat cereal or milk.
Hope your phone dried out!